[mythtv-users] Having problems; ivtv timeouts;other errors

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Jan 31 02:40:50 UTC 2007

Not sure how many problems I'm really having. Yesterday I got monit
going because once in a while my backend will stop. Not sure why. I've
had some bigger problems since getting it working.

Last night I recorded 24 and Heroes. Heroes recorded ok, 24 failed about
20 minutes in with an ivtv error that ivtv stopped responding. (see link
to log below) Unfortunately I didn't find this out until I went to watch
it tonight.

Then today I recorded Star Trek ok from LiveTV late this afternoon, but
Star Trek: Voyager "The Thaw" failed with the same ivtv driver timeout,
on the same tuner card as 24 above. Star Trek: Voyager "Tuvix" recorded
ok on a different tuner card.

Monit restarted the backend twice today. Once at 4:55 and once at 8:55.
Strangely both times it was right before a recording was starting.

Anyway, could I have a tuner card failing? Seems like it's the same card
that's having the ivtv timeout. Or, is it more likely an ivtv driver
issue?

I'm going to reboot the backend machine after the current recordings
finish. I'm hoping that a reboot will "fix" it but I'm skeptical that it
will be long term. Any suggestions at all?

I'm also having some other errors like these, don't know if they mean
much or not. The whole log (since yesterday evening) can be looked at
here:
http://www.obrien-pifer.com/mythtv/mythbackend.log

Starting around line 60:
QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket

starting at line 276:
2007-01-30 16:05:57.618 TVRec(3): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to
RecordingOnly
2007-01-30 16:06:26.111 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND begin cnt(2048)
free(2047)
2007-01-30 16:06:27.311 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND end

As always, thanks for the help.
James