[mythtv-users] Nvidia FX5200 with Westinghouse LVM-47w1

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jan 30 15:34:08 UTC 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:02 AM, Bill wrote:

> Prob #1)  I connected my FX5200 from my DVI to the DVI-2 connector
> on the TV.  Everything looks perfect!  The desktop gives me no
> issues, playback in myth gives me no issues, mplayer direct on the
> screen is fine.  However, if I move through the menus in MythTV
> quickly, it begins to get funky.  Basically it seems like the TV
> goes and resets itself.  Then comes back.  There is a slight pop
> from the speakers.  Once it starts happening, it happens each time
> I move the selector in the menus.  If I go to a playback it does
> not happen, or if I go back to the desktop its fine.  Only in the
> myth menuing. (Which looks perfect by the way).  I tried turning
> off OpenGL rendering and the same problem.
>
> Last night I had a dream.  I dreamt that during my unpackaging of
> the LVM-47w1 I saw an paper insert that showed the two DVI ports on
> the back of the tv.  In my dream one was indicated as being 1080i
> and the other 1080p.  I call this a dream since I cannot for the
> life of me find it.  Also, the manual shows both being 1080p.  But
> the manual is for two models.

Assuming the 47 is the same as my 42,  DVI-1 is a dual-link DVI port
supporting 1080p and DVI-2 is a single-link DVI port supporting
1080i. I upgraded to a dual-link nvidia 6600 card and changed my DVI
cable and they went away. From what I understand I might have only
needed to change the cable.

> Regardless, I swapped it over to DVI-1 and have not been able to
> replicate the problem. But I did not have a chance to put it back
> on DVI-2 (had to go to work).  Also, there may have been recording
> going on last night, but not this morning.

You've probably got a single-link DVI cable.

> The log files are empty of any indication of a problem.
>

> Prob #2)  I am just throwing this in, since it is bothering me.  My
> fading menus have gone away at some point last night.  It happened
> sometime after I added in my FX5200 card and before I gave up for
> the night.  Part of that was moving from the xorg "nv" driver to
> the actual "nvidia" drivers.  In my STFW, I came across a
> transparency tip.

To get the fades, you need to make sure the frontend is using OpenGL
rendering (In the Appearance section of Setup) and make sure OpenGL
is working on your card. This probably means using the nvidia driver
as opposed to the nv driver but I'm not 100% sure of this. I just
know that nv has never given me OpenGL.

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Westinghouse"
>     VendorName "Westinghouse"
>     ModelName "LCD Panel 1920x1080"
>     HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
>     VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
>     ModeLine "1920x1080p" 148.5 1920 2024 2072 2200 1080 1084 1094
> 1124 -hsync -vsync
>     Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
>     Option "dpms"
> EndSection

Once you get your hardware sorted out, you probably won't need a
modeline. I don't have one and my display looks perfect. (One of the
joys of getting a "display" as opposed to a HD-TV - no overscan).