[mythtv-users] Please shut up!

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 29 23:33:51 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 29, 2007, at 6:32 AM, Edward Coffey wrote:
>>
>>>  If you want to put a stop to repetitive questions you need a
>>> one-stop-shop for answers, which as far as I'm concerned should be the
>>> Wiki.

May I offer two suggestions on this issue.

First, include this list of resources in Steve's footer in the standard
footer for the mail list. Then the links are there every time you read a
message on this list:

Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -

Second, I'd like to see these two rules added to standard netiquette:

1. If you don't like a question, don't answer it. If you offer a
critical answer, you are guaranteed to make at least two people mad, the
person who asked the question and yourself. Chances are, you'll make a
lot more readers mad as well.

2. The right person to answer a newbie question is the person who last
asked it. This frees up the more experienced users to answer more
advanced questions and it gets the newbies involved in expanding the
knowledge base.

Thanks.

Andrew Robinson