[mythtv-users] How To Ask Questions The Smart Way (was Re: Please shut up!)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jan 29 23:15:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:53:45PM -0500, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Greg Woods wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 00:56 -0600, John Pierce wrote:
> >> The problem as I see it, is a lack of basic search engine
> >> understanding.
> >
> > I agree. I have been criticized in the past for asking questions that
> > could have been answered with a Google search, but you have to know what
> > to search for. I always try searching first, but that doesn't guarantee
> > that I will find what I want even if it is out there.
>
> I've had this experience quite a few times. One suggestion is to note in
> the question that I've tried searching but haven't hit on the right
> combo of search terms. Hopefully the readers will respect that.

*This* sounds like a job for...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

If you want free advice, here's probably the best treatise ever written
on how not to piss off the people who have the answers.  Composed by
ESR and Rick Moen, it will lead you by the hand to where you don't need
to be led by the hand quite so much.

I've unthreaded this, so more people will get to see it.

Cheers,
-- jra