[mythtv-users] Best place to insert a CATV amp <- finish

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Mon Jan 29 21:53:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:17:57 +0100
Rudy Zijlstra <mythtv at edsons.demon.nl> wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I cannot seem to find a good answer anywhere on this, so maybe someone here can help.
> >
> >Q:  In a line with several splits, where is the best place to add an amplifier?
> >
> >I just hooked up my newly recreated mythtv backend.  It has a PVR350 and a PVR500 in it.  At first I was getting pretty icky picture, so I hooked up a powered amp and it got better.  But not as good as it should.
> >
> >Pretty much my arangement is like so:  Sorry for it being confusing, but I am unsure how to portay it.  I've noted where I have considered putting it by inserting (option #).  I can also get an amp with multiple outputs which may be the way to go.
> >
> >I *believe* I have near perfect cable signal coming in (not too strong / not too weak) - but then again they did not seem to be the sharpest of people...
> >
> >-> STREET
> >-> RUNS TO HOUSE
> >-> 2 WAY SPLITTER -> TV | CABLE MODEM
> >
> >Cable Modem:
> >(ends here)
> >
> >TV: (Option 1)
> >-> 4 WAY SPLITTER
> >
> >4 WAY SPLITTER:
> >-> TV
> >-> TV
> >-> TV
> >-> TV -> (Option 2) -> 3 WAY SPLITTER
> >
> >3 WAY SPLITTER:
> >-> TV
> >-> PVR350
> >-> (Option 3) -> PVR500 (Which has a 2 WAY built in I believe)
> >
> >Basically the question comes down to is it better to boost the signal higher and let it drop down as it goes through, or let it drop down, then boost it.
> >
> >As I understand it, you get poor quality when it is too high or too low... so should I work out the drops so it always stays as close to the starting point?

As a follow up, I ended up swapping the AMP for an AMP with one input and two outputs.  So essentially it splits at the house, then into the amp for a 10db hop, then into two four ways which drop it around 7, then inside the PVR500 I am guessing a few more down at the splitter in there.

It has really improved my signal on that tuner.

I plan also to get some higher quality 3 way splitters and remove the four ways (now there is no need to split 4 ways).

Thanks for any / all advice to everyone