[mythtv-users] difficulty with smart upgrade

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 17:52:39 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2007, at 03:47, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>
> > I just attempted to upgrade my system from fc4 -> fc5, and after doing
> > it via cd, upgraded via smart to get the remaining packages.
> >
> > After it looks like the upgrade is going through, it fails with
> > Committing transaction...
> > error: yum-metadata-parser-1.0-7.1_1.fc4.at requires yum >= 2.6.2
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> This has nothing to do with MythTV. Have you considered posting to
> the redhat-users or fedora-core-users mailing lists?

Mea culpa; it should not have been posted to this list.

> I interpret the error message to say quite loudly "your version of
> yum doesn't support this package or yum data-format".

I understood this, but could not find a version of yum >= 2.6.2.  I
could only find yum <=2.6.1

> I mean, from that message I read "yum >= 2.6.2" to be a package &
> version. I'm pretty sure that `yum` is in fact a package manager, so
> `yum yum` (I love it!) may well do the job.
> What version of `yum` is installed presently? Are you able to upgrade
> `yum`?

neither yum install yum, smart install yum helped at all.  Curiously,
I was able to selectively upgrade packages via smart, but could not
figure out how to not have it request the yum-metadata-parser package.

This situation has been resolved, although not in the best manner.  I
wound up blowing away my installation and restarting with a fresh
install of FC5.  Would have been more flawless if I did not somehow
wipe my database at the same time (even though I made a backup of the
db, and was *certain* I copied it to my /video partition, the only one
not to get reformatted, sometimes you are not truly certain).

This actually is not a bad thing, as I was having some other weird
issues (trying to get ratpoison to be my default wm, but somehow
screwing up several config files).  And the 200 gigs of recordings can
always be recaptured.