[mythtv-users] AACS Cracked Already

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 29 15:49:42 UTC 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> but that would cut into the profits they use to fight piracy!...

<snip>

This is getting more OT than most things here, but a couple of
observations:

Shipping pieces of processed petroleum around the world (using more
petroleum to do so) is insane. This is changing, slowly, as more
people get faster net connections and more download services get
going. It is information that we want to transport, not plastic.

At present it is literally easier to steal a movie than to purchase
it. You DL it via a torrent or limewire far faster than you can
purchase it legally. Apple is on the right track here with the one-
click iTunes interface but you will notice that they are getting
their pants sued off over that.

The plain fact is that all of the "piracy protection" schemes do not
work. They do not even slow down the industrial-scale pirates and
simply make things less convenient for the legal purchasers.

Finally, there is very little "content" out there that is worth my
time to "steal". The vast majority of what I watch is on the ad-
supported cable and satellite channels, which I record with Myth and
chop out the ads. I'd be hard put to think of a movie produced in the
last decade that would be worth even $5 to me.

Ask yourself a question: If the industry came up with a completely
impenetrable "protection" scheme would their revenue go up or down? I
suspect the latter.