[mythtv-users] Please shut up!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 29 14:22:08 UTC 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 6:32 AM, Edward Coffey wrote:

>  If you want to put a stop to repetitive questions you need a
> one-stop-shop for answers, which as far as I'm concerned should be the
> Wiki.

Pretty much what I've been thinking. If I'd put even a tenth the
effort into creating/editing WiKi pages as I have into OT posts I
think we'd all be a lot better off.

The WiKi is not a perfect format, but it is what we have and I for
one plan to set some time aside to work on improving it.

One problem I have seen with WiKi entries is that it is sometimes
difficult to know to what Myth versions, installations techniques,
hardware setups and the like they refer to. perhaps some sort of
standardized header to let readers know immediately if this entry
refers to their particular setup or not might help ?

This sort of problem is not unique to this list, it is often faster
and easier to do something than to document what you have done, or
quicker to dash of a fast reply than to look up the previous post
with the same information. I plead guilty on all counts.

But identifying the problem is certainly the first step. Anyone who
feels "tread upon" by reasonable suggestions should get a thicker
skin, please keep treading :-)