[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Question

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Mon Jan 29 09:45:49 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 10:31, Damian Surr wrote:
> I'm unsure about this question again.
> I want a backend and frontend system that can use normal Ubuntu desktop
> when we're not watching films or listening to music.
> That has made me assume that I want the Backend\Frontend\Desktop
> install. However, I don't want to be loading lots of stuff into memory
> when I just want Myth (which will be most of the time). What would you
> recommend in this case? Is there a way to only load up all the extra
> Gnome and stuff when it's actually needed (which will be quite rarely)?
> I'm no longer afraid of the command line so much as the Server instal on
> the Ubuntu community pages looks very detailed. I still need access to
> the Ubuntu desktop occasionally though so that my girlfriend is happy
> using the system for email and browsing etc.
Start with a full Backend\Frontend\Desktop install.  If this gives no
problems, leave it like this.
You can create an extra option in the login menu so you can start a
mythfrontend-only session.  But I'm pretty sure that you will not need this
because running mythfrontend on your gnome desktop will be working fine.

Stef