[mythtv-users] Issue playing DVD ISOs using PVR-350 TV-out audio

Chris & Ruth ruth at ruthandchris.org
Mon Jan 29 00:30:24 UTC 2007

Thanks Andy!

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Lyon
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:00 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Issue playing DVD ISOs using PVR-350 TV-out
audio

On 1/28/07, Chris & Ruth <ruth at ruthandchris.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When trying to play DVD ISOs through the internal player (Myth 0.20 on

> Fedora 6) and through my Hauppauge PVR-350 TV-out I don't get any
> audio through the TV. Audo works fine for TV recordings (video and
> audio through the TV).
>
> Before you ask, I don't have access to a sound card as I'm reusing an
> old blade from work which doesn't have any audio hardware and the form

> factor means I can only attach one PCI card (which is my Hauppage).
>
> Any shared wisdom would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Thats how it works unfortunately, you can only playback recordings using
the built in decoder , I think you have no choice but to use the overlay
to play back dvd etc, which means that the sound is not output from the
pvr-350. People kludge around that by using sound crd output and
connecting the output from the 350 to line in or running arecord piped
into aplay to record and playback the 350 output.

You could use a usb sound card, I've used a turtle beach audio advantage
micro which is cheap and works ok, and it has spdif output, but no
input.. somebody posted to this list recently with a link to a very
cheap usb sound stick with 3.5 stereo input and output, that might be a
solution but it probably wouldnt have a onboard mixer so you would have
to arecord/aplay and that can introduce delay, although you can adjust
the audio delay in myth to compensate its not ideal and i found that it
was hard to keep sync :(.

Support for the pvr-350 as a output device is unmaintanied and will be
dropped if/when it is broken by some other change, so you might want to
think about driving your tv another way .

Andy