[mythtv-users] new user with error...please point me toward the appropriate reading

Mike Chandler michaelachandler at cox.net
Sun Jan 28 18:06:30 UTC 2007

> Can you login to MySQL as root and check whether the mythconverg
> database exists and the mysql user has access to it?
>
> I don't use Debian, so it's "wherever your installation installed
> it"... (you could just search for the mc.sql file though). I would
> have throught that the initial setting up of the database would have
> been carried out for you when you installed MythTV via the distro's
> installation scripts - perhaps another Debian user could shed some
> light on this (and also whether the mysql user is the correct default
> for Debian).
>
> Nick
Man, oh man...
I can't connect at all.
(I'm this close to throwing it away. I have had this system running for 4
years and have installed and configured countless applications, but nothing
has been as frustrating as this sql stuff.)

Example:
localhost:/home/mike# mysqladmin version
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
localhost:/home/mike#

mike at localhost:~$ mysqladmin version
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'mike'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
mike at localhost:~$