[mythtv-users] How to select a transcoder profile from mythfrontend?

Niklas Brunlid prefect47 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 00:08:08 UTC 2007

Since I'm getting low on space on my backend, I thought I'd go and transcode
some things. The recordings are all made by PVR350 and PVR500 cards.

I prefer to use MPEG2->MPEG4 for movies, and MPEG2->MPEG2 for series, since
I sometimes watch the latter on my MVP. So I edit the "medium quality"
profile to encode in MPEG-4 and rename it to "To MPEG-4", and I edit the
"high quality" profile to do lossless encoding and call it "Lossless".

Then I go to "watch recordings" -> "job options" -> "begin transcoding", and
mythfrontend presents the list of profiles. The names don't match what I
renamed the profiles to, but I select "medium quality" since I have edited
that profile. The problem is that no matter what profile I select, myth
ignores it and uses the "autodetect mpeg2" one. I can understand why it does
it, but why does it let me select a profile at all?

As it is now, my only way to use different transcoding settings for
different recordings is to alter the settings for the "autodetect mpeg-2"
profile, start the transcoding, wait for it to start, then alter the
settings, start it again, etc...

What am I missing?

/ Niklas