[mythtv-users] Computer case recoomendations

Nemo Inis nemoinis at telus.net
Sat Jan 27 15:59:36 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Brett Kosinski wrote:

>> - Design flaw: the front plate (heavy brushed aluminium) is NOT
>> grounded. In theory this should be ok because it's covered with a
>> varnish so it's isolated from you, but in practice, the tiny recessed
>> bevels of the front panel buttons is not varnished (I guess the bevel
>> was made after the varnish had been applied).  In my carpeted
>> living-room, the computer would crash -hard- every time my finger got
>> close to the power button, whereas it had worked fine in my computer
>> lab.  After grounding the front panel, this problem disappeared.
>> Unacceptable in such an expensive case, IMHO.
> Weird, I've *never* had this problem.  I wonder if this was a bad unit?
It's been reported by others as well.  For example
and in other reviews.
Of course, whether or not you run into the problem depends on the
carpet in your room :-)
I had the machine setup upstairs for weeks in the lab and did not run
into the problem.

> - Design flaw: the LCD display area indeed has space so you can add
> your
>> own IR receiver, and it's not difficult to do.  However, the glass
>> window in front of it is covered with IR-opaque paint. Duh...
> Yeah, that ticked me off, too.  A bit of high-grit sandpaper solved
> that
> problem, though.
> - Design flaw: the case ventilates extremely well, however it's a bit
>> noisier than I was led to believe by the ads.  Especially noticeable
>> during the quiet passages of a movie.  I'm thinking of  disconnecting
>> one of the two case fans (they're the source of the noise. My heatsink
>> fan is silent).
> Well, keep in mind, the fans are multi-speed.  The first thing that
> should
> be done is to slow them down (though, make sure to monitor case temp,
> make sure ventilation is still adequate).  At top speed, they do put
> out a
> bit of noise (though they're still remarkably quiet), however given
> their
> diameter, you can probably run them at low speed without a problem.
They're both set to low speed. While you can't hear them above ambient
noise during the day, they are audible in a quiet living-room at night
(when I watch movies).  Though it could be that the furniture & corner
that the computer is in accentuate the noise in my room.

> - Annoyance: there's a HUGE volume-type button on the front of the case
>> that I can't use because there is no Linux driver for it and no
>> information is available (that I could find)  to write one.
> This works just fine in Linux.  It shows up as an imon IR receiver,
> and so
> you can use lirc to receive events from it.  See this thread for
> details:
> http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3280
Thanks for that, I missed it!