[mythtv-users] Audio configuration question (hardware)

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 08:54:00 UTC 2007

On 26/01/07, Justin Luitjens <luitjens at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> > By "RCA inputs," do you mean separate inputs for each channel, for a total of
> > 6 input jacks? Or do you mean a single RCA/coaxial digital input jack? I'm
> > guessing the former, but I'm not positive of that.
> >

> The only inputs are the RCA Red/White/Yellow inputs for video and audio.

Just 3 in total? I can't see how you can get 5.1 sound from your home
theatre system with only left and right stereo inputs.

> > If my assumption above is correct, then I'd suggest you first check your
> > manuals to see if you've got outputs with your current computer sound
> > hardware for separate channels. Some motherboards have these as headers, even
> > if there are no external output jacks; you could then buy or build an
> > appropriate cable and bracket to give yourself access to the outputs and run
> > wires from the computer to the receiver. If you have no separate outputs,
> > then you should be able to buy a sound card that has them relatively
> > inexpensively.
> >
> My motherboard has stereo connectors for a center/woofer, back surround,
> side surround, line in, front out, and a mic.

Analog 7.1 sound.

> If I want to connect this to my tv over a single stereo channel where
> would I plug into? The center& woofer?

Use the regular line out output with a 3.5mm jack -> 2xphono audio
cable, and configure your soundcard/ALSA mixer to output stero, not
7.1 analog.

> > Of course, this will give you analog connections between the computer and the
> > receiver. I've not researched this in any depth, but I suspect you'd get
> > better sound by using your computer's SPDIF outputs and a receiver that's
> > designed to accept SPDIF inputs. Whether it's worth spending (potentially)
> > several hundred dollars on such an upgrade is a subjective matter. Given the
> > minor expense of running an analog link (particularly if you've got a few
> > spare cables), you might want to try that first, and only replace your
> > receiver if you're not satisfied with the results.
> >
> > If my assumption was wrong and you mean your receiver already has a coaxial
> > SPDIF input, then just run a cable from your computer to the receiver and use
> > it. (This assumes the Linux drivers for your sound card support 5.1 SPDIF
> > output, and you'll probably have to muck with mixer settings.)
> >

> Unfortunately I don't have a receiver but a home theater system that
> doesn't have much for inputs (RCA red/white/yellow only).

What's the model of the theatre system? I'm still not sure how you can
ever get 5.1 sound without either:

i) an optical or coaxial S/PDIF input, or
ii) 6 separate phono inputs for center, left, right, rear left, rear
right, and LFE.

With a stereo input, you be able to use Dolby Surround however.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/