[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 23:41:40 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> Calin, where did you find the slow moving case fans? That's one thing I've
> never been able to find. Those with one of the fanless CPU coolers might be
> what I'm looking for.

There's 2 (main) methods to get slow-moving case fans.

1: Modify the fan connector so that it goes to the red and yellow
wires, rather than the yellow and black. This will give it a voltage
of +7v, rather than the regular +12v. The fan will still start, but
won't spin so fast.
2: Place a resistor (Fixed or variable for speed adjustment) inline
with the fan. This will allow you to control the speed of the fan.

3: Build a PWM circuit. This will enable you to dial the fan all the
way down without stalling, but can cause "growling" sounds at low
RPMs, and will also mean you can't use RPM monitoring.

Details on these are here:
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2001/12/03/pwm_fan_controller/1.html
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston