[mythtv-users] 9XXX Nvidia Drivers Ignore My Modeline!

Nicholas Fasano nfasano75 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 22:09:17 UTC 2007

Hello to everyone on the list.  I'm a long time reader
but infrequent poster.  I'm having a strange problem
upgrading my nvidia drivers, and I wanted to see if
anyone had come across the same issue or had a
solution.

I am currently using the 8776 Nvidia drivers and all
has been well with my system, but I have recently
decided to upgrade to the most recent drivers (I've
tried both 9629 and 9746) to take advantage of some
video performance gains that some on the list have
been seeing (i.e. OpenGL Vsync).  The problem I'm
having is simple, yet perplexing.  Everytime I
upgrade, the new drivers completely ignore my modeline
in xorg.conf and drop me down to 1024x768 instead of
my Pio 503CMX's native 1280x768.  In nvidia settings,
my modeline res is nowhere to be found.  My only
choice is then to reinstall the 8776 drivers and it
starts up in my normal resolution again.  Is this some
kind of new feature of the nvidia drivers to move away
from modelines?  Is there something I need to do to
tell the drivers to look at my xorg.conf?  Or is there
some subtle problem with the modeline that only the
new drivers are detecting and rejecting?  I'm using
the drivers you can download on the nvidia website
that compile them for you - I'm using a custom
compiled kernel and mythtv SVN compiled from source,
not RPMs.  I'm going to paste my xorg.conf below in
case there's something useful in there.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help
me with this issue.  I never post a question here
unless I am totally stumped and have exhausted all
other options.

Nick F

[root at localhost raid]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by
nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0
(buildmeister at builder3)  Mon Oct 16 22:13:07 PDT 2006

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note,
this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").
There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font
server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath        "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "fbdevhw"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "type1"
#       Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled
(eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment
XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard,
modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example,
for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can
use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout
setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your
capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

#       Option      "dpms"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName      "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    HorizSync       31.5 - 48.5
    VertRefresh     40.0 - 70.0
    ModeLine       "Pioneer 503/PDA5002 1280x768" 81.0
1280 1304 1440 1688 768 769 777 802
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName      "nVidia Corporation GeForce 5200"
    Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Option         "NoLogo" "on"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NvAGP" "2"
#    Option         "RenderAccel" "1"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes      "Pioneer 503/PDA5002 1280x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection