[mythtv-users] Wireless?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 25 04:30:00 UTC 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 8:49 PM, David Rees wrote:

> I wasn't aware that any wireless bridge was capable of WPA in bridge
> mode... I remember being pissed when I bought my Buffalo compact
> repeater bridge claiming WPA support and then when I tried to bridge
> it to my Linksys, it would not connect. Buffalo tech support and
> replied that bridge mode only works with WEP.

The Buffalo "AirStation G54" can do WPA-AES encryption. I have one
running next door connected to my Mom's Mac. I never tried their "one
touch" security setup though, guess I'm just old-fashioned.

> Either way, the wireless bridge is the way to go as then you don't
> have to mess w/wireless setup in Linux. Not sure if wireless support
> in Linux has gotten any better since the last time I tried a couple
> years ago.

Agreed. Wireless support in Linux is very dependent on what chipset
is in the card. Some set up quite easily and some are impossible
without using Windows drivers and NDIS, and the proprietary Windows
drivers pollute your open source system if that matters to you
(though the nVidia drivers do that to most Myth systems anyway).