[mythtv-users] Wireless?

Jack Madison jack at webhouse.cc
Thu Jan 25 04:11:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 19:49 -0800, David Rees wrote:

> Either way, the wireless bridge is the way to go as then you don't
> have to mess w/wireless setup in Linux. Not sure if wireless support
> in Linux has gotten any better since the last time I tried a couple
> years ago.
>
> -Dave

Wireless has in fact come a long way in the last couple years.  I'm
typing this from an HP Pavilion laptop running FC6 with a wireless
connection.  It previously had FC4, and I never could get wireless to
work right.

I actually decided to give wireless a shot because I wanted to test
mythtv output to a TV and didn't want to run cable to the living room.
Not only does it work great, but using a TCP based nfs mount and bumping
the cache up to 8192 for mplayer I am able to use it as a front end with
no noticeable slowdown or jerkiness when playing back DVDs ripped at any
setting using both the internal player for vob files and mplayer with
avi files.  Pulling down the listings should be fine, even at the 11mbit
wireless you're bottleneck is almost guaranteed to be the Internet
connection.

BTW, before anyone says anything, the wireless is just a test I'll be
running cable for the permanent frontend.