[mythtv-users] Re: short recordings problem?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Jan 24 21:12:59 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 15:10, Jared Harvey wrote:
> Hello mythtv-users,
>
> I'm  finding  that  about the first 25 seconds of recordings are being
> chopped  off. I've looked into the the system clock, and it appears to
> be  on  time  with the TV schedule. I haven't found a setting yet that
> allows  me to make it record a bit earlier, and I have no ideas how to
> fix the problem.

I can't rule out the possibility of a bug or a problem with your system clock;
however, this problem is common even with commercial DVRs (TiVos, etc.)
because broadcasters like to play games with program start and end times. I
don't know the true motivation for this, but the speculation that makes the
most sense to me is that it enables broadcasters to squeeze more advertising
revenue out of their lineup by moving ads from low-rated shows (making them
start late and/or end early) to high-rated shows (making them start early
and/or end late). This is a pain for DVR users, of course.

> Can anyone tell me how to adjust the recording start times?

There's an option in the recording options screen: Go to "Scheduled
Recordings," select an upcoming recording, press "I", and pick "Scheduling
Options." You'll see (among other things) options to start recordings early
or late. You can make these same changes when initially entering a regular
recording.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com