[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Nate Crosno nate at crosno.net
Wed Jan 24 17:42:31 UTC 2007

Alex wrote:
> What type of chipset are you running on this PCI only setup?
> The 3.2 P4 is plenty for what you are doing.  I run the same with a 5200
> (AGP) and HD content - with and without XVMC.
>
> Stay away from the VIA chipsets if you want performance and reliability.
> A cheap Intel 865 based board (look on discount sites or Ebay) would
> work well in this environment if yours is suspect.
> Yes - socket 478 and AGP (and perhaps socket 939 too) are dying out.
> However you want cheap, and the older technology still works for this
> application.
> Hope your memory is symmetric (i.e. not three 512M DIMMs).
> I would try a better motherboard first and then replace the video card
> if you are still having issues.

I'm not sure of the chipset. Whatever came in the HP.  I should have
mentioned one other benefit of going the AMD route -- I can retask the
p4 box for other work stuff, for which it was originally intended.  That
did figure into my final decision to go with AMD.  I just looked again
and I actually have 1.7GB of RAM that I can split off between the two
systems.  I also have an extra case (not pretty, but it will do for now).