[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Alex stangage70 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 17:15:14 UTC 2007

What type of chipset are you running on this PCI only setup?
The 3.2 P4 is plenty for what you are doing.  I run the same with a 5200
(AGP) and HD content - with and without XVMC.

Stay away from the VIA chipsets if you want performance and reliability.
A cheap Intel 865 based board (look on discount sites or Ebay) would work
well in this environment if yours is suspect.
Yes - socket 478 and AGP (and perhaps socket 939 too) are dying out.
However you want cheap, and the older technology still works for this
application.
Hope your memory is symmetric (i.e. not three 512M DIMMs).
I would try a better motherboard first and then replace the video card if
you are still having issues.