[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 23 21:14:44 UTC 2007

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Jarod, I somehow got the impression when reading your HD guide and others,
> that 1080i and 1080p are *not* the same thing as vertical resolution on a PC.
> That's why I asked the question.

Ah, okay. No, they're the same thing. If you're truly pushing a set at
1080p, you're running a 1920x1080, progressive-scan resolution. Now, you
*can* run lower resolutions inside the same timings as a higher
resolution to combat overscan issues, so I see where the confusion comes
from, but no, I'm running straight-up 1920x1080p, which fits the display
perfectly (the beauty of a purely digital DVI connection).

> Most of the HD screens I've looked at top out the vertical PC resolution
> they'll accept at 768.

In which case, you're likely powering the set with something like a
1366x768 progressive-scan mode (which is what the smaller HDTV in my
bedroom takes. :)

> I'm wondering if I can play 1080i/p programming if I
> have a MythTV box hooked up at this resolution.

As long as you have the horsepower and display, you can play back HDTV
content at whatever output resolution you like. I did a demo w/a Myth
box playing 1080i and 720p content inside a projector's native 1024x768
resolution the other day. Myth just scales the video accordingly.

--jarod