[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate Warranty support *Warning*

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:22:35 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Jaz Singh <jazee at tds.net> wrote:
> Seagate claims that they will honor the warranty as long I preserve my proof of purchase.
> Ok, so now I rip open my box and tape the receipt on the drive?  And should I do that for the
> 40+ drives deployed at work in RAID enclosures?

Really, it's basic accounting and standard operating procedures, no
need for taping things to hard drives.

Buy a drive. Record drive model, serial number & purchase date along
with other details in spreadsheet. Save all receipts/invoices in
chronological order.

When drive fails, pull drive lookup purchase date by serial number in
spreadsheet.

If you're running a business, you really should be doing this for all
purchases in your inventory control system. It's not a bad idea to do
for home purchases, either as often warranty claims will require proof
of purchase.

-Dave