[mythtv-users] DVI-D/HD video card recommendation

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 23 14:20:51 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2007, at 04:07, Justin Moore wrote:
>> I realize that.  My question was

>> Is there a flag I need to set when loading the kernel module to
>> force to
>> DVI-D output?
>
> And a very good question it is, too.

Yes there is a flag if you are using an nvidia card.
something like

Option      :ConnectedMonitor"   "DFP:0"

> I'm afraid I'm not able to answer, so I'm just posting to (bump your
> thread and) ask that if you find out elsewhere can you post back
> here, please?
>
>> I'd like to ... try and force the card
>> into DVI-D mode.
>>
>> There's also the issue as to whether or not a $30-$50 card can push
>> 720p/1080i over a DVI-D link.

Yes they can, I recently got a HDHR and over the weekend I got a pretty
nice HD setup on modest hardward.  (Question on that well be another thread)

I tried two video cards,  GF4000MX and a 5200 both with 128 MB.  I was
able to drive a sony LCD at  480i,480p, 720p, 1080i

> I've read posts on http://www.avforums.com from people saying they're
> using dual-link cards (under Windows) to drive their 1920 x 1080
> panels, but I'm not clear if this is actually necessary. I know
> nothing about dual-link, but I don't see how it should be necessary
> if a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player can connect with just a regular HDMI
> cable. I'd love to know more.

My tv and video cards only have single link and they work fine up to 1080i.

>> From what I've seen on several
>> manufacturer's websites there are different maximum resolutions
>> depending on whether it's an analog or digital signal it's
>> pushing.  For
>> example, it looks like anything short of a 7600GT can't do 1080p in
>> digital mode, but the 7600GT and up can do 1080p.  I'd just like to
>> know
>> whether or not this is the case and (if so) where the similar line is
>> for 1080i.
1080i is more like 540p as far as bandwith is concerned, you only send
half the screen at a time.

> I have the impression that I've seen higher specifications advertised
> for VGA output than for DVI, but that seems quite illogical to me.

The tdms transmitters on dvi/hdmi is the limiting thing factor not so
much the video chipset.