[mythtv-users] Need to buy a graphics card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 22 15:41:19 UTC 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Damian Surr wrote:

> I think I answered most of this on the start of the thread.
> Short term, Monitor and old TV (standard TV aerial and scart input)
> Long term, Monitor and Projector
> The monitor is for Ubuntu use, the TV (then projector) is for Myth
> (and
> maybe games) use. I don't need to use both at the same time ever.
> Games would be nice, but I doubt I'd play much so not essential.
> Noise isn't a factor for me, but is definately a factor for my
> partner.
> She's very sound sensitive, so I need it to be as quiet as possible.
> It's already too load for her and there's no fan on any video card
> yet.
> I'm hoping changing the power supply will fix that.

I apologize if I missed the beginning of the thread, it is a high-
traffic list :-)
> The 5200 seems to keep cropping up, so I'll try and find a good one of
> those with the right outputs for the right price.

That's probably your best bet. the 5200 will do XvMC.

If you are in the USA you can find them pretty cheap, one example is:

I hate to plug vendors, and I'm sure there are other sources.

It;s nice to find a fanless card, not just the lack of noise but fans
all fail eventually. You can find a passive heatsink to replace the
fan on most cards.