[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV vs Media Center - funny

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jan 21 19:05:42 UTC 2007

On Jan 21, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Stroller wrote:

>> Windows will pretty much run any code you present to it, without
>> regard to what user owns it or has permission to execute it etc.
>
> Actually, you're mistaken. This week I had to ask one of my customers
> to enter her password when we used the "run as..." command (right-
> click on an exe) to install the iPod software under her daughter's
> account Windows XP; I set this PC up perhaps a year ago so that all
> the children have "limited" accounts, and they really haven't had any
> problems with it since. Mum always installs new software when it is
> required.

I'm aware the situation is a lot more complicated than I wanted to
put in a short email. The "limited" accounts prevent you from
installing programs and doing certain other tasks, but once the code
is in the "programs" directory it can generally be run by any user or
executed by any process running with very common "privileges".

It's really even more complex than that, and I haven't had time to
read the links you provided (but I will). The basic fact remains that
it is far easier to get "rogue code" to execute under a Windows OS
than any other.