[mythtv-users] C-Cube hardware DVD decoder - any use for Myth?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 21 17:31:17 UTC 2007

On 21 Jan 2007, at 16:40, Greg Kutzbach wrote:
> ... 600Mhz or so was a stretch to get smooth MPEG2 playback and so
> they used cards such as that.

Although I always worried about it I used to get fine playback on my
PII 400mhz under Windows 2000 when that was a current specification
machine. I have to admit I didn't use it too much, as my main PC was
a PIII 500mhz (possibly a DP), but neither had much RAM - perhaps
128meg & 256meg. Mind you, I always kept my Windows PCs quite clean
and I seem to remember this as a halcyon time when one could get away
with surfing the internet in Windows without the overhead of anti-virus.

> I know the feeling of wanting to save good old parts, but just
> remember
> that many engineers have worked very hard to make new devices that are
> much better than the old ones.

I appreciate your comments - I suspected this would be the case, but
it does seem such a waste. I did not have the budget for such
luxuries at the time.

Stroller.