[mythtv-users] Internal Player w/ HD

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 05:21:21 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Michael Wisniewski <wiz561 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>     I'm using mythtv .20 on ubuntu.  My goal is to get it to play HD videos
> in, well, hi-def, while everything else is SD.  The reason for this is
> because my tv is 4:3 and it bugs me when I use the 16:9 resolution on it.
>
>     So, my question...  Is it possible to have the internal player use a 4:3
> ratio (640x480) for everything except movies in the video manager?  Then,
> when you play a video in the video manager section, send a switch to the
> internal player to force 1280x1024?
>
>     I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that you can do this with
> mplayer...but I really like the internal player's features, such as volume
> control, bookmarking, and no need to remap all the keys.
>

>  Thanks!

Under setup -> Appearance in mythfrontend there are options to use
different resolutions for different video sizes.

I currently have a 50" 1080p set.  I have the default set to 1280x720
because it's less strain on the system.  But for 1920x1080 video I
have the output set to 1600x1200 (there were weird artifacts when I
tried 1920x1080 for the output)

I had to set the gui width, gui height, x offset, and y offset
manually though so that the gui would fit properly.

So yes, I think what you are looking for can be done.  There is also
an option for aspect, so you can set the default to 4:3 but your HD
res's to 16:9.