[mythtv-users] Internal Player w/ HD

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 23:23:01 UTC 2007

>From: "Michael Wisniewski" <wiz561 at gmail.com>
>    I'm using mythtv .20 on ubuntu.  My goal is to get it to play HD videos
>in, well, hi-def, while everything else is SD.  The reason for this is
>because my tv is 4:3 and it bugs me when I use the 16:9 resolution on it.
>    So, my question...  Is it possible to have the internal player use a
>ratio (640x480) for everything except movies in the video manager?  Then,
>when you play a video in the video manager section, send a switch to the
>internal player to force 1280x1024?
>    I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that you can do this with
>mplayer...but I really like the internal player's features, such as volume
>control, bookmarking, and no need to remap all the keys.

I'm confused.  Why not scale everything to 1280x1024?  The internal player
will scale whatever video you play to whatever your standard output
resolution is.  I have a 720p modeline in xorg.conf and every video I play
(480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) is scaled to that resolution automatically by the
internal player.

Also, if you're TV is 4:3, then it's not HD and regular TV's won't handle a
1280x1024 signal.  I believe s-video will handle 800x600, but regular TV's
can't actually display that high a resolution.

something more.