[mythtv-users] mythfrontend standalone wont start

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Thu Jan 18 21:14:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:53:39 +0000
"Nick Morrott" <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/01/07, Bill <Bill at explosivo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've compiled mythtv for a frontend on a box very similar to my backend.  I cannot however get it to start anything, and the lack of error messages is disturbing... it just sorta stops.
> >
> > The program starts, cannot connect to a DB, so it shows a ton of failed DB connections, which I guess is normal, as it should pop up the database configuration screen when it cant.  If I try to run mythtv-setup for fun, it does the same thing... Runs, then kapow.  In the end, it does this:
> >
> > Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> > QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
> > QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
> > 2007-01-18 15:25:17.366 DB Error (KickDatabase):
> > Query was:
> > SELECT NULL;
> > No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
> > 2007-01-18 15:25:17.422 Database not open while trying to load setting: Language
> > QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
> > QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
> > QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
> >
> > It compiles fine, and just hangs there.  I am thinking it has something to do with the video not being able to grab the screen.  I am not sure where to look next.  X.org seems to have no errors in the log, DRI is enabled and is loading okay.  Do I need V4L in a frontend without an encoder?
>
> If running a remote frontend, you need to configure MythTV to get
> settings from the machine running the mythconverg database. Normally
> if the user 'mythtv' is running the frontend, you need to edit
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt and point the value of 'DBHostName' to
> the actual location of the database, not localhost.
>
> Also, you will likely need to grant privileges on the database to any
> remote machines you want to be able to connect to the database.
> Examples of this are in the MythTV docs.
>
> Nick

Thanks

Okay, I can make those changes.  I interpreted the documentation wrong, in that where it says the "database configuration" screen should appear, I thought that would allow me to put it in (see below)

But should the frontend just hang like that if it does not get a connection?  Seems odd.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html

# Run the mythtv-setup program on your Master backend. Under the "General" menu, change the IP address of the current machine (by default, "127.0.0.1") to the real external IP address - 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address and no external machine can access it. Change the Master Server IP setting to the same IP address as well.

# Run the mythfrontend program on your frontend machine, and a "Database Configuration" screen should appear. Set the "Host name" field to point to your Master backend's IP address.