[mythtv-users] mythfrontend standalone wont start

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 20:53:39 UTC 2007

On 18/01/07, Bill <Bill at explosivo.com> wrote:

> I've compiled mythtv for a frontend on a box very similar to my backend.  I cannot however get it to start anything, and the lack of error messages is disturbing... it just sorta stops.
>
> The program starts, cannot connect to a DB, so it shows a ton of failed DB connections, which I guess is normal, as it should pop up the database configuration screen when it cant.  If I try to run mythtv-setup for fun, it does the same thing... Runs, then kapow.  In the end, it does this:
>
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
> QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
> 2007-01-18 15:25:17.366 DB Error (KickDatabase):
> Query was:
> SELECT NULL;
> No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
> 2007-01-18 15:25:17.422 Database not open while trying to load setting: Language
> QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
> QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
> QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
>
> It compiles fine, and just hangs there.  I am thinking it has something to do with the video not being able to grab the screen.  I am not sure where to look next.  X.org seems to have no errors in the log, DRI is enabled and is loading okay.  Do I need V4L in a frontend without an encoder?

If running a remote frontend, you need to configure MythTV to get
settings from the machine running the mythconverg database. Normally
if the user 'mythtv' is running the frontend, you need to edit
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt and point the value of 'DBHostName' to
the actual location of the database, not localhost.

Also, you will likely need to grant privileges on the database to any
remote machines you want to be able to connect to the database.
Examples of this are in the MythTV docs.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/