[mythtv-users] Automatically alternating tuners.

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:44:44 UTC 2007

On 18/01/07, jonny Linux <jonnylinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the UK, using 3 DVB-T cards, sometimes programs run slightly later
> than planned, so I have a global setting to record 2 minutes before the
> show, and 5 minutes after the show. This works well, except sometimes I want
> to record a show starting immediately after another recording. For example:
> BBC Two 22:00-22:30, followed by BBC Four 22:30:2300. If it wasn't for the
> BBC Four program, the BBC Two program would record until 22:35, but because
> they both default to using the same tuner, the BBC Two recording stops at
> 22:30, at the same time the BBC Four program starts. That means even though
> I have three tuners, MythTV will only use the one. (The same thing happens
> if they're both on the same channel)
>
> The workaround I've found is to look through the Upcoming recordings and
> manually overide the tuner settings on each program. Would there be any way
> of making MythTV do this automatically? I know the time period after a show
> is a sort of soft time constraint, and if I only had one tuner, I'd want it
> to behave like it does already, but it would be nice if the tuner could be
> selected based on the time the last show started, and if another tuner is
> available the extra recording time would still be used.
>
> Is there any way of doing this automatically?

I assume you've got the global overrun setting on the backend?  This
is a soft setting and (as you've found) is overridden in the event of
a clash.  This is very usefull if you've only got one tuner.

With plenty of tuners however, you're better off setting the 'start
early' 'end late' parameters in the recording profile.  These overrun
settings will be enforced by the scheduler and will cause your other
tuners to be brought into play.

You'll find plenty of discussion on this if you look in the archive.