[mythtv-users] Output to monitor and TV - a solution

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:47:27 UTC 2007

    I have come up with a solution thanks to feedback received,
especially that from al210.

    The NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card supports an option called Twinview
- at least it does in the latest release of the NVidia driver. The
README file that comes with that driver suggests to launch the
following command:

    nvidia-xconfig --twinview

This creates an xorg.conf file that supports output to both my CRT
monitor and my TV. The thing is, it just considers both monitors to be
a single one: The CRT on the left, the TV on the right. In order to
have exactly the same output on both one has to insert

   Option "TwinViewOrientation"  "Clone"

immediately below the

   Option "TwinView"  "True"

line in xorg.conf. This is pretty much what al210 suggested (thank
you) the main difference being that nvidia-xconfig adds the following
line:

   Option         "MetaModes" "nvidia-auto-select, nvidia-auto-select"

   Thanks all those who replied.