[mythtv-users] New house - any advise?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jan 17 07:13:40 UTC 2007

Bill Williamson wrote:
> However for anything of any power I'd be more worried about heat
> effects of resistance (and the ensuing distortion, or even fire
> danger) than actual volume degradation.

I don't think you'll set anything on fire, unless you're running really
high power levels.  CAT5 is made of 24-gauge wire.  I think you'll find
a typical home speaker voice coil is wound with wire that's even finer,
but it doesn't burst into flame.  If you use too much (say, 100+ feet of
a single pair of CAT5) you'll be dissipating as much power in the wire
as you are in the speaker -- but the heat produced will be spread out
over the entire length of the wire, so no one chunk of it is going to
get very hot.