[mythtv-users] New house - any advise?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Jan 17 06:30:03 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/07, Billy Macdonald <billymacdonald at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Remember your physics. Two conductors in parallel will have less
> > resistance than the lowest resistance of the pair.  Two 3ohm wires in
> > parallel will have a resistance of 1.5ohms.
> >
> > Unless I'm misunderstanding what was being suggested about pairing the wires.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I'm advocating using cat5 or not.  Personally I would
> > probably use speaker wire myself unless it's a low wattage second zone
> > type speaker.
>

> CAT5 works wonders as a "single cable rear surround" cable for low
> powered speakers.  When I was living in an apartment and simply had my
> two surround speakers (15w RMS, just there for effects when watching
> movies) behind the couch, I ran a single cat5 from the amp to them and
> each speaker used two twisted pairs.  It worked great (about a 15m
> run)!
>
> However for anything of any power I'd be more worried about heat
> effects of resistance (and the ensuing distortion, or even fire
> danger) than actual volume degradation.

To self-reply, simply remember that "cable is cable, no matter the
label."  Most single strands are probably 24awg or so?  If so, just
think "would I run a twisted 24awg pair to that speaker, or would I be
worried about distortion and heat."

It doesn't matter that it's cat-anything, it's simply the weight and
composition of the cable.