[mythtv-users] New house - any advise?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Jan 17 06:28:13 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, Billy Macdonald <billymacdonald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Remember your physics. Two conductors in parallel will have less
> resistance than the lowest resistance of the pair.  Two 3ohm wires in
> parallel will have a resistance of 1.5ohms.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding what was being suggested about pairing the wires.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm advocating using cat5 or not.  Personally I would
> probably use speaker wire myself unless it's a low wattage second zone
> type speaker.

CAT5 works wonders as a "single cable rear surround" cable for low
powered speakers.  When I was living in an apartment and simply had my
two surround speakers (15w RMS, just there for effects when watching
movies) behind the couch, I ran a single cat5 from the amp to them and
each speaker used two twisted pairs.  It worked great (about a 15m
run)!

However for anything of any power I'd be more worried about heat
effects of resistance (and the ensuing distortion, or even fire
danger) than actual volume degradation.