[mythtv-users] networking

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Tue Jan 16 21:02:02 UTC 2007

After muddling through a couple years with wireless-g bridge between my TV
area and office - not terrible, but not always successful streaming HD from
office computers to LinkPlayer2 - I found "superflat cat5e" from
http://www.vpi.us/cable-sf.html , got a spool and tools, and stuffed about
100 linear feet of it along the baseboards and around a door molding. I now
have GigE connectivity between the office and TV, using 8-port switches
instead of the 4-port APs. I was running out of ports by the TV: mythbox,
HD-DirecTivo, LinkPlayer2, xbox360, PS2 (though no games I have use it,
apparently), and occasional laptop connection to copy video files off the
mythbox faster than snail's pace. Yes, I could have dangled a switch/hub off
the AP but this way was much more fun :) And I really didn't want to pull up
the carpet in the basement or drill outside and run cable there (the
preferred method of previous cable-tv installers).