[mythtv-users] OT: Mythfrontend on a Wii - ever posible?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 18:54:53 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd throw in some money as well if this were possible. Isn't  one of the
> issues with Myth on the xbox the slow CPU  speed? From what I've heard
> navigating menus is painfully slow on the xbox - If the Wii had the
> horsepower to handle Myth, it would make a nice candidate for a semi-silent
> frontend, providing the Myth install showed up as a channel vs reloading the
> OS itself.

The main reason menus and the like are slow on the XBox is that it has
no hardware acceleration (No OpenGL), so all the work is being done by
the CPU, pushing to a RAM-based framebuffer. You run ANY graphics card
like that and you'll find display very slow.

And as to the Wii not having HD, it does 480p, which means it would be
a useful "Kids room" frontend. Just like the XBox is (As the regular
XBox running Linux won't handle HD either).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston