[mythtv-users] Unicode characters showing up as question marks

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Jan 16 16:54:31 UTC 2007

Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> says:
> Whoever designed the MySQL database left the collation settings at the 
> default - which is (for some reason) "latin_swedish_ci".
> I changed all the text fields on the "program" table to use 
> "utf8_unicode_ci" as their collation. Then I set the collation for the 
> table and the collation for the whole database to be "utf8_unicode_ci" 
> as well.

As the great American philosopher Homer J. Simpson put it, "Your ideas
are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter."
Although I have an all-English MythTV setup, I wonder if the above
steps would resolve what I reported at

Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list