[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Jan 16 13:30:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, January 16, 2007 12:28 pm, A JM wrote:
> This backend contains 2 pvr250's and I might throw in a hd3000 ifI
> getthing going again. I've been running SVN trunk for a while now so
> I'm not afraid to bang around on the keyboard I just hate the not
> being ale to track down problems, Linux support is available, but you
> have to sift through miles and miles of posts to find it....
>
> I've seen ubuntu show up a bit, I'm running Debian on my Xbox what are
> the similarities, pretty close in terminology? Is there a Myth site
> around for running ubuntu and Myth beside the wiki?
>
> That's the one thing that's bothersome about Linux, the differing
> commands to do the same thing on different distro's, very confusing it
> would be better served if there where some standards it would be much
> easier to learn differing distro's.
>
> I'd like to find a distro that already had SVN Myth incorporated it
> certainly would make life much easier with a base to start from...

It sounds very much like you want Gentoo.  I've been using it for a few
years now and I can't imagine moving to a different disto.  You can tweak
and configure to your hearts content.  The ebuilds (Gentoos way of
installing packages) for mythtv seem to be pretty up to date and you can
always craft your own if you are really keen.

There is a bit of a steep learning curve when you first start, but it
sounds like you wouldn't be too worried about that.

Just my 2p,

Robert.