[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

uxbod uxbod at splatnix.net
Tue Jan 16 13:59:54 UTC 2007

I second Gentoo ... Excellent distro and you end up with a O/S that is as slim or fat as you wish it to be.

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:30:23 -0000 (UTC), "Robert Longbottom" <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:
> On Tue, January 16, 2007 12:28 pm, A JM wrote:
>> This backend contains 2 pvr250's and I might throw in a hd3000 ifI
>> getthing going again. I've been running SVN trunk for a while now so
>> I'm not afraid to bang around on the keyboard I just hate the not
>> being ale to track down problems, Linux support is available, but you
>> have to sift through miles and miles of posts to find it....
>>
>> I've seen ubuntu show up a bit, I'm running Debian on my Xbox what are
>> the similarities, pretty close in terminology? Is there a Myth site
>> around for running ubuntu and Myth beside the wiki?
>>
>> That's the one thing that's bothersome about Linux, the differing
>> commands to do the same thing on different distro's, very confusing it
>> would be better served if there where some standards it would be much
>> easier to learn differing distro's.
>>
>> I'd like to find a distro that already had SVN Myth incorporated it
>> certainly would make life much easier with a base to start from...
>
> It sounds very much like you want Gentoo.  I've been using it for a few
> years now and I can't imagine moving to a different disto.  You can tweak
> and configure to your hearts content.  The ebuilds (Gentoos way of
> installing packages) for mythtv seem to be pretty up to date and you can
> always craft your own if you are really keen.
>
> There is a bit of a steep learning curve when you first start, but it
> sounds like you wouldn't be too worried about that.
>
> Just my 2p,
>
> Robert.

--[ UxBoD ]--
// PGP Key: "curl -s http://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: 543A E778 7F2D 98F1 3E50 9C1F F190 93E0 E8E8 0CF8
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0xE8E80CF8

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.