[mythtv-users] networking

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 15 19:55:39 UTC 2007

On 15 Jan 2007, at 03:53, Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> I used powerline networking for a while, but it didn't work
> reliably.  Things may have improved in the meantime (this was about
> 4 years ago, before I started using MythTV.)

I've used these things a couple of times in the last couple of years
- I think I have two customers using them at the moment.

One customer's network is extremely stable - it uses Acer-branded
kit, and has needed resetting once since June 2005.

The other uses Devolo homeplugs and that works fine for months at a
time, but will then require some fiddling, power-cycling and
reloading of the encryption keys to the plugs using the bundled
Windows software. I'm think it misbehaved like this when I originally
installed it and then again after a few months; on the second
occasion it required a number of visits to get it going again. I
returned the plugs to the supplier and they were unable to reproduce
the symptoms; sometimes these plugs will work as USB adaptors and not
with the ethernet connector, or vice-versa.

Despite this, I have a more positive perception of this hardware than
I do of wireless, which I find inconsistently reliable in larger
homes; the Devolo homeplug network does, after all, have "uptimes" of
several months.

Stroller.