[mythtv-users] networking

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 03:53:03 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, Todd Houle <thoulemythtv at gleffsecurity.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone.  I have a remote frontend over wireless.  While it
> generally works ok, when anyone gets on the cordless phone, or
> someone uses the microwave, we loose connectivity and have to restart
> the remote frontend.  I can't get a wire to this location so am
> looking for alternative network methods.  I once saw these units to
> plug into a power outlet.  Has anyone used them with Myth?  Do they
> provide enough bandwidth?  I'm using just standard def cable.   Are
> there any recommended brands or vendors?

I used powerline networking for a while, but it didn't work reliably.
Things may have improved in the meantime (this was about 4 years ago, before
I started using MythTV.)  You could also try using 802.11a wireless -- it
runs on a different band, and won't be affected by microwave ovens or most
cordless phones.

Before you chuck your 802.11g equipment, you might want to experiment with
different channels.  You might have better luck at one end of the band or
other.

Carl Fongheiser