[mythtv-users] OT: Need a new HDTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 15 15:43:44 UTC 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 5:05 AM, Mark wrote:

> I'm finding most of these things are out of my budget.  It would have
> been nice if the TV had lasted
> until I had more saved up...  damn Philips tv...  it's not even 5
> years
> old yet.  Are there any 32" 1080p models,
> or am I just wishful thinking?  My thought was to buy something pretty
> good, but a little smaller than average,
> then rotate it into a spare room or kids room or something when larger
> displays become more affordable.
> Is 1080p really worth the extra bucks?   Is there that much content
> out
> there for it?

I've only ever seen 1080p content on my display once and it is
absolutely beautiful but the only way to get it is from HD-DVD, Blu-
Ray or to download it as 1080p so a 1080p isn't really "future-
proofing". 1080i will always been in the future for HDTV since it's
one of the broadcast standards. You also need to consider myth's
video card when going 1080p. I have to upgrade from my nvidia 5200
because it didn't have dual-link support and I could only get 1080i
content out of it even after I tried all the tweaks I read about on
how to make it work.