[mythtv-users] OT: Need a new HDTV

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Mon Jan 15 13:05:29 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>On Jan 14, 2007, at 8:13 PM, Mark wrote:
>

>>Bill Williamson wrote:
>>

>>>Country?
>>>

>>USA
>>

>>>Format?
>>>

>>Would like LCD, about 32-37 inch widescreen, 1080p for futureproofing
>>

>>>Budget?
>>>

>>$600-800 would be nice
>>

>>>Constraints? (space, wallmount, projector, ?)
>>>

>>7-10 feet viewing distance, flatscreen preferred, wallmount capable,
>>stand for now.
>>

>I'm very happy with my Westinghouse 1080p display. I've got the 42"
>but they also have a 37" with the same specs. The thing I love most
>is that it's just a display - no tuner. This means it was a couple
>hundred dollars less than the comparable HDTV's and I don't need to
>worry about a modeline because it doesn't overscan. It's got dual-
>link 1080p DVI, single-link 1080i DVI, HDMI, 2 component, VGA and S-
>Video inputs.
>
>Pricegrabber.com says the 37" is around $1100-$1200. This also
>happens to be the lowest cost 1080p display on pricegrabber.com. If
>you can find a 1080p for under $1000, I'm sure the rest of us would
>like to know. :)

I'm finding most of these things are out of my budget.  It would have
been nice if the TV had lasted
until I had more saved up...  damn Philips tv...  it's not even 5 years
old yet.  Are there any 32" 1080p models,
or am I just wishful thinking?  My thought was to buy something pretty
good, but a little smaller than average,
then rotate it into a spare room or kids room or something when larger
displays become more affordable.
Is 1080p really worth the extra bucks?   Is there that much content out
there for it?