[mythtv-users] commercial skip only for certain channels?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 05:30:05 UTC 2007

On 1/13/07, Craig G. <craig at goranson.org> wrote:

> I think sarvin "might" be asking if its possible to run
> commercial skip on one channel but not have any commercial flagging done on
> another.
>
> In answer to sarvin's question:
> It is possible to do automatic commercial flag on certain channels and not
> have it done on others.

You can also set or unset com flagging on a recording-rule basis. It's
under the Post Recording Processing menu when you set up a new
recording/recording rule.

But as I read sarvin's original question, I though he was asking if
there was any way to change the commercial auto-skip behavior based on
the channel from which the recording originates.

I think I can understand this. For example in Chicago I get South Park
on Comedy Central and on a local station. Com flagging works very well
for Comedy Central but much less reliably for the local channel --
breaks tend to be more irregular (once 1 minute, another 3.5 minutes),
and they often jump from ads back into the program without blank
frames.

I can understand why someone might want to have a rule that says, eg,
for recodings from channel X, auto-skip commercials; for channel Y,
notify on cutpoint.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to do this at the
moment, and I also imagine that no one is trying to come up with any
solution for it.

The best solution for now is to follow Craig's suggestion of setting
specific channels as 'commercial free', or following my suggestion of
disabling com flagging for specific recording rules.