[mythtv-users] MythTV + HD

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 18:47:58 UTC 2007

On 1/13/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 1/12/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
<snip>
> >> Hrmm.. I'm getting no-where.  The xorg.conf options above work like a
> >> champ, producing excellent MythVideo and menus, but when I bring up
> >> current recordings they, well, look awful.  Horizontal interlace lines
> >> are visible during moderate motion, the colors seem a bit off (red is
> >> blasted out), and the picture appears somewhat grainy.. or maybe
> >> grainy/snowy (not sure how to describe it).  Changing the interlace from
> >> "detect" to "interlaced" makes no difference.
> >>
> >> Now, via S-Video, the current recordings look good, but at the sacrifice
> >> of everything else.  (man, 720p menus look crystal clear)
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what else to try/check... Anyone have any ideas?
> >> -Rich
> >>

> > sounds like your not deinterlacing the video. talk to Bob, he's a
> > good, helpful "guy".
>
> Heh.. I turned that on, but wasn't too sure of what I was doing.  Does
> that only take effect when you enable XvMC?

nope, deinterlacing is always enabled. XvMC can only use certain
deinterlace methods though, but Standard can use all the methods.

> Another thing I am in the middle of trying is swapping the video feed
> from the STB to the PVR-150 card on the BE from coax-only to svideo+L/R
> audio.  I just tested that against livetv, and the picture quality
> definitely improved on the FE machine.  Next step is to see if that,
> plus the xorg.conf settings for 720p, plus enabling de-interlacing +
> Bob, make things better on the HD set when displaying SD.

svideo will look *much* better than over coax for newer boxes. I
currently do this and the picture looks damn good on our 65" 1080p.
Digital channels look the best, but even the analog channels don't
look half bad. Not HD by far, but more than watchable.

> (... after writing that paragraph, I feel like I am qualified to go back
> and work for US government facility.. they *love* acronyms..  My wife
> would read that and complain that it "all looks like Greek to me.")

hehe

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!