[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 12 20:36:38 UTC 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:29 PM, Jeff volckaert wrote:

>> cheers
>>   Jeff
> Thanks for all the replies.  I guess it just goes to show that Ghz and
> Cores aren't everything.  I have worked with AS/400s for years.  I've
> never been able to find a benchmark that really compares the AS/400 to
> a PC server.  The few articles I have read say that a normal PC can
> out compute it any day of the week... but, the AS/400 can process 10X
> the bank transactions all year long (literally with 99.99??? uptime on
> average).

The problem with PCs is that the manufacturers concentrated on fast
CPUs because that's what people were looking at. Desktop PCs have
garbage disk systems, crappy power supplies and 32-bit slow PCI busses.

PC "servers" usually have 64-but busses, perhaps SCSI disk systems
and maybe redundant lousy power supplies. Better, but still not the
commercial device that an AS/400 is, as you pointed out. There is a
reason the AS/400 costs more then several PC "servers".

The only way to really rate a system is with a battery of benchmarks
that reflect how the machine will actually be used. Describing a
system with a single number (CPU speed) is marketing, not engineering.