[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 12 20:28:14 UTC 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Jeff Breadner wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 11:49 -0800, Jake Palmer wrote:
>
>> I picked up a PS3 earlier today (it's amazing how fast they went
>> from $1500
>> on eBay to 10 in stock at the local Circuit City) so I'm excited
>> to test the
>> uPnP setup.  My only concern is wireless bandwidth for streaming HD
>> recordings.
>
> More bubble-bursting:  the built-in wireless isn't supported in
> Linux on
> the PS3 yet.  They're apparently working on it, but for now I've just
> run a cable to it.  You can probably use a USB 802.11g adapter too if
> you have one.
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/breakdown/
> index.php?hw_cat_id=15

That's a really minor problem. USB 802.11 adapters that are supported
by Linux are cheap, and the problem will almost certainly be solved
eventually.

The accelerated video problem will only be solved with the
cooperation of Sony/nVidia, and the low amount of RAM will probably
never be solved short of surface-mount soldering gear and maybe not
even then.

But it's *still* a good deal IMHO :-)