[mythtv-users] nuvexport - drastic quality difference

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jan 11 20:42:44 UTC 2007

Christopher Friend wrote:
> I noticed this problem a couple of months ago while I was putting the
> nuvexport page up on the mythtv wiki. Up until that point, ffmpeg
> transcodings were fine, no real noticeable quality difference from
> transcode. But since then it's had, like you describe, horrible
> artifacts in the image regardless of what options I choose (eg. encoding
> at 900 kbps ends up looking like a >100 kbps vid at points).
>
> I assumed it was a bug with ffmpeg and as i rarely use it anyway then
> I've not been bothered by it. But it explains why there's no transcode
> vs. ffmpeg visual comparisons in the wiki. and also any screen shots of
> dvd type codecs as transcode won't let me use it for that kind of thing...

Have you perhaps upgraded ffmpeg to a newer version of svn without
upgrading nuvexport, too?  ffmpeg recently changed the commandline
parameter for setting the bitrate, so it's quite likely that your
recordings are getting set to ffmpeg's minimum bitrate (you should try
doing the math on the file sizes).

-Chris